Black Chantry is releasing a new set of demo decks, New Blood. Like First Blood, there are five decks with the same clans as the Fifth Edition boxed set: Malkavian, Nosferatu, Toreador, Tremere, and Ventrue. Let's take a look and see how the Ventrue deck measures up for new and established players alike.
New Blood: Ventrue
Black Chantry describes it as a "toolbox...capable of explosive turns." In a lot of ways, this deck will play like the classic Law Firm. Lots of actions and eventually something will slip through or possibly a lot of things. The lack of a political angle decreases this decks explosiveness.
As a Demo of the Game
As a demo of the game, this is going to be one of the harder decks to play properly. Turn ordering will be critical to achieve success. Using feints, allowing blocks to lock vampires, determining when to play which card, all of that is going to be tough for new players. Most will probably play what comes into their hand with little thought to the order of actions and, as such, may have some difficulty achieving success. The deck does pack some strong cards and Dominate is forgiving of mistakes. The defensive package is just enough to keep this deck going and help set up that explosive turn.
Nothing stands out as problematic in this deck like the "Immortal Grapple" phase in the Nosferatu deck. So no worries for new players in that regard.
For New Players
- This is probably the third best skill card in the game, mostly because Dominate works so well at inferior. You can bolt Dominate on and have good success. Regardless, new players need skill cards.
- Fifth Tradition: Hospitality
- The Traditions have always been really good. Fifth Tradition is no exception. Giving another vampire 4 blood is very strong. There's lots of blood cost in this deck, so blood gain is necessary. The only real problem here is that there's only one copy in the deck.
- Fourth Tradition: The Accounting
- Fourth Tradition provides another powerful effect. Used a lot in classic Nosferatu builds but less so with Ventrue because Govern is polyvalent. The advantage for Ventrue, however, is that you can do both in one turn with one vampire because of Freak Drive. Again, quantity is the problem here. New players will want many copies of this.
- Mind Numb
- World-class lock effect. Great for classic decks like Ventrue Law Firm. For new players, Ministry will really love this. You can't go wrong trading one action for two blocks. Slowing down your predator is also a good move. It can also leave them reeling by opening up a hole in their defenses.
- Political Ally
- This got a reprint? 2 pool, 1 life. Ummm, that seems like a waste of pool. To be honest, I'd love to see this guy have another life. Until then, Summon History decks here's another big bleeder for you.
- Finally. Another good source of blood gain. While not frequently used, this card is an excellent way to provide blood to vampires. Dominate can be especially expensive and we need to mitigate that cost somehow.
- Slaughtering the Herd
- Expensive, but good for landing a bleed in an ally-heavy meta. Mostly used as a splash card, so getting a copy here is perfect. Not sure that I've ever seen the superior played.
- Social Charm
- The little brother of Legal Manipulations. In most cases, I think I'd rather spend the blood to get that extra bleed.
New Blood: Ventrue Mash-Up
Deck Name: New Blood: Ventrue Mashup Author: Karl Schaefer Description: More of the same, but doubled-up on the bead recovery cards: Fourth Tradition, Fifth Tradition, Restoration, and Life in the City. This will help mitigate the high blood costs of the deck. Crypt (12 cards, min=22 max=30 avg=6.5) ======================================= 2x Alexa Draper 8 for pot DOM PRE prince Ventrue:6 2x Alice Chen 7 dom obf FOR PRE prince Ventrue:6 2x Kevin Jackson 7 DOM FOR PRE prince Ventrue:7 2x Amelia Locke 6 cel dom FOR PRE Ventrue:6 2x Madison 6 DOM FOR PRE Ventrue:6 2x Naomi Stewart 5 dom FOR PRE Ventrue:6 Library (72 cards) ================== Master (10) ----------- 4x Blood Doll 4x Life in the City 2x Misdirection Action (22) ----------- 2x Dominate Kine 8x Enchant Kindred 2x Fifth Tradition: Hospitality 2x Fourth Tradition: The Accounting 3x Mind Numb 2x Restoration 1x Slaughtering the Herd 2x Social Charm Action Modifier (16) -------------------- 5x Conditioning 2x Daring the Dawn 7x Freak Drive 2x Seduction Reaction (15) ------------- 6x Deflection 3x Second Tradition: Domain 6x Wake with Evening's Freshness Combat (9) ---------- 6x Majesty 3x Soak
Fifth Edition-New Blood: Ventrue Mash-Up
Deck Name: V5-New Blood: Ventrue Mashup Author: Karl Schaefer Description: A Law-Firm style build. More multi-action. Crypt (12 cards, min=21 max=29 avg=6.33) ======================================== 1x Alexa Draper 8 for pot DOM PRE prince Ventrue:6 2x Alice Chen 7 dom obf FOR PRE prince Ventrue:6 2x Sybren van Oosten 7 dom tha FOR PRE prince Ventrue:6 1x Kevin Jackson 7 DOM FOR PRE prince Ventrue:7 1x Amelia Locke 6 cel dom FOR PRE Ventrue:6 2x Horst von Brühl 6 aus pre dom FOR prince Ventrue:6 1x Madison 6 DOM FOR PRE Ventrue:6 1x Naomi Stewart 5 dom FOR PRE Ventrue:6 1x Oshri Dahan 4 dom for pre Ventrue:6 Library (79 cards) ------------------ Master (13) ----------- 1x Anarch Troublemaker 5x Blood Doll 2x Misdirection 1x Uptown Hunting Ground 1x Ventrue Headquarters 1x Visit from the Capuchin 2x Wider View Action (14) ----------- 2x Dominate Kine 7x Enchant Kindred 3x Intimidation 2x Mind Numb Political Action (9) -------------------- 1x Ancilla Empowerment 4x Kine Resources Contested 4x Parity Shift Action Modifier (21) -------------------- 2x Bewitching Oration 6x Conditioning 2x Daring the Dawn 8x Freak Drive 1x Seduction 2x Voter Captivation Reaction (15) ------------- 7x Deflection 2x Second Tradition: Domain 6x Wake with Evening's Freshness Combat (7) ---------- 7x Majesty
For Established Players
- Amelia Locke
Her Celerity is going to give the group 6 Forced March friendship another
Ris going to be strong with any such pairing.
- Kevin Jackson
- A 7-cap Prince with all in-clans at superior. Yes, please. Not much more can be said. This guy will be the corner-stone of group 7 decks. He should come out ahead on the special-drawback. Brujah typically lack Fortitude, so Kevin should be able to stay up as Brujah slowly fade. Majesty can avoid the whole mess altogether. Honestly, it's a bunch of nothing-to-see-here.