Black Chantry is releasing a new set of demo decks, New Blood. Like First Blood, there are five decks with the same clans as the Fifth Edition boxed set: Malkavian, Nosferatu, Toreador, Tremere, and Ventrue. Let's take a look and see how the Toreador deck measures up for new and established players alike.
New Blood: Toreador
Black Chantry describes it as a deck that "tries to take political control over the game." This sounds like the V5 Toreador build. Like most Toreador builds this deck is susceptible to trouble if the surrounding decks have any intercept whatsoever. Toreador Grand Ball attempts to work around this problem, but that is either a temporary solution or a resource that has to be defended.
As a Demo of the Game
As the most straightforward political deck, this shows off both the strengths and weaknesses of votes. There's a smattering of defensive options, in bleed reduction, a little bounce, and a little intercept. I would have preferred a deck that just doubled-down on votes for ousting and pool gain: more Villein/Minion Tap, more Voter Cap, etc. The small defensive package is probably better for a new player.
For New Players
- Conservative Agitation
- This Jyhad classic finally makes an appearance in BCP products. Stronger in the early game and weaker in the end game, this vote is not going to be the main threat. Usually this balances out Kine Resources Contested in decks to provide an alternate damaging vote to work around the restrictions imposed by Delaying Tactics.
- Domain Challenge
- This is the anti-horde vote for decks that are also horde decks. Because you can time this, you're likely to take the least damage from it while lowering everyone else's pool totals. This will make a nice addition to Libertine Ball decks. I don't necessarily like the include here where at least Toreador Grand Ball host and the voter are going to be locked. This deck also isn't going to out-minion the other decks. Good reprint and this is the best place for it, but it is a little bit of a square-peg-round-hole situation.
- Dummy Corporation
- Dummy Corporation is a very nice bit of bleed reduction. It's particularly useful when you also have access to bounce. Make the bleed big enough to sting even if reduced by the Dummy Corporation and it might get bounced. Keep it too small and they might just eat the bleed for one. Bleed for one? That's a predator you want to keep.
- Minion Tap
- A stronger, reusable version of Villein. While I'm not really a fan of it in this deck, this card deserves a BCP reprint. This card is for when you need to go back to the same well over and over again. Lutz and other large-cap vote decks love this card. Your mid-caps are still going to prefer Villein in most cases.
- Telepathic Counter
- Yes, bleed reduction is worse than bounce. Yes, the same clan that has access to this bleed reduction also has access to bounce. While this card needed to be reprinted, I think that the Tremere deck would've been the better place to do so. Being able to reduce a bleed and be unlocked to block the follow-up action is powerful. Being forced to reduce because you don't have other options...not so powerful.
New Blood: Toreador Mash-Up
Deck Name: New Blood: Toreador Mashup Author: Karl Schaefer Description: Crypt (12 cards, min=10 max=30 avg=5.17) ======================================== 2x Catalina Vega 8 for AUS CEL PRE prince Toreador:6 2x Flávio Gonçalves 7 aus for CEL PRE prince Toreador:6 2x Mkhokheli 6 aus cel for PRE prince Toreador:6 2x Carmelita Neillson 5 cel pre AUS Toreador:7 2x Nik Sikko 3 cel pre Toreador:6 2x Mateo García 2 pre Toreador:6 Library (73 cards) ================== Master (11) ----------- 2x Art Museum 1x Dummy Corporation 3x Minion Tap 5x Toreador Grand Ball Action (8) ---------- 6x Enchant Kindred 2x Entrancement Political Action (12) --------------------- 2x Conservative Agitation 2x Domain Challenge 4x Kine Resources Contested 4x Parity Shift Action Modifier (13) -------------------- 4x Aire of Elation 4x Bewitching Oration 1x Scorn of Adonis 4x Voter Captivation Action Modifier/Combat (6) -------------------------- 6x Resist Earth's Grasp Action Modifier/Reaction (2) ---------------------------- 2x Scalpel Tongue Reaction (13) ------------- 4x On the Qui Vive 3x Second Tradition: Domain 2x Telepathic Counter 4x Telepathic Misdirection Combat (8) ---------- 8x Majesty
Fifth Edition-New Blood: Toreador Mash-Up
Deck Name: V5-New Blood: Toreador Mashup Author: Karl Schaefer Description: Well, it's a mashup. Too much utility is missing. Need to work a Fifth Edition: Ventrue into the mix to spice this up. Crypt (12 cards, min=13 max=30 avg=5.42) ======================================== 2x Catalina Vega 8 for AUS CEL PRE prince Toreador:6 2x Flávio Gonçalves 7 aus for CEL PRE prince Toreador:6 2x Mkhokheli 6 aus cel for PRE prince Toreador:6 1x Kathy Glens 5 aus cel tha PRE Toreador:6 1x Tamoszius 5 aus CEL PRE Toreador:6 1x Bret Stryker 4 CEL PRE Toreador:6 1x Massimo Falconi 4 aus cel pre Toreador:6 1x Nik Sikko 3 cel pre Toreador:6 1x Mateo García 2 pre Toreador:6 Library (80 cards) ================== Master (15) ----------- 2x Art Museum 1x Creepshow Casino 1x Elysium: The Palace of Versailles 1x Society Hunting Ground 4x Toreador Grand Ball 6x Villein Action (6) ---------- 5x Enchant Kindred 1x Entrancement Political Action (18) --------------------- 4x Consanguineous Boon 1x Conservative Agitation 1x Domain Challenge 7x Kine Resources Contested 4x Parity Shift 1x Toreador Justicar Action Modifier (22) -------------------- 3x Aire of Elation 5x Bewitching Oration 2x Change of Target 4x Perfect Paragon 8x Voter Captivation Action Modifier/Combat (6) -------------------------- 6x Resist Earth's Grasp Action Modifier/Reaction (3) ---------------------------- 3x Scalpel Tongue Reaction (4) ------------ 4x Second Tradition: Domain Combat (6) ---------- 6x Majesty
For Established Players
- Carmelita Neillson
Only the second vampire in group 6 with
A, making here a precious commodity. The big complaint for group 6 was the lack of Aand she fills that gap nicely. In lieu of any other superiors or out-of-clan disciplines, we get a very cool hand size bonus. In decks that need to setup their combo, like vote decks (vote + push + Cap), having an extra card gives you a little more space to hold onto something for longer.
- Mateo García
Not the most interesting vampire, but most decks need some weenies that
can just do things for you. A 2-cap with
ris enough to host a Ball, call (and push) a vote, block a rush, or rescue someone better. He's necessary for the new group, but no one is going to lose theirs minds over this guy.